Easy Ways to Avoid Internet Fraud
Heritage Oaks Bank is dedicated to making your online banking as safe and convenient as possible. For safe financial transactions over the Internet follow these simple tips:
KEEP YOUR PASSWORD SECURE
- Use a strong password consisting of at least six characters including numbers, capital letters and symbols.
- Don’t ever share your password with anyone else, and don’t write it down where it will be easy for others to find.
- Change your password frequently—every thirty days is recommended.
- Do not give out your identification information, such as your HOB Online Password, to any other person.
DON’T DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- No bank, including Heritage Oaks Bank, will ever send you an e-mail asking for personal or account information.
- Never leave your account information displayed in an area accessible by others.
- Any e-mail which threatens to close or suspend accounts unless you “verify” your information is very likely a hoax. Criminals send e-mails designed to look like official communications from banks or government agencies, but in every case these e-mails contain links which take you to faked web sites where you may be asked for log-in IDs, passwords, personal information or account numbers and PINs. Don’t fall for these types of scams!
USE ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
- Install reliable anti-virus software and keep it up to date to protect your computer from viruses, spyware and keystroke loggers which can be used to steal your personal and financial information.
- Install and maintain spam filters and pop-up blockers.
- Regularly run virus and malware scans.
TURN YOUR COMPUTER OFF WHEN NOT IN USE
- If you have an “always-on” high speed Internet connection, it can be tempting to leave your computer turned on and connected 24 hours a day. However, turning your computer off when not in use will protect your system from being used by criminals in ‘distributed computing’ attacks which can take place without your knowledge.
- Turning your computer off can save you money on your electricity bill.
- Never leave your PC unattended while using HOB Online Banking.
- Always exit the system by clicking on SIGN OFF after using HOB Online Banking.
SECURITY AND PROTECTING YOUR ACCOUNT
Heritage Oaks Bank is strongly committed to protecting the security and confidentiality of our customer account information. Heritage Oaks Bank uses state-of-the-art technology in the ongoing development of its HOB Online Banking service to ensure this security. We use several different methods to protect your account information:
- You can only access HOB Online with certain browsers that have a high security standard.
- Your account numbers are not displayed in full - only the last 4 digits can be viewed.
- You must have a valid Access ID and Password to logon. Passwords must contain at least six characters. We will require you to select a new password every six months.
- If no action is taken for 15 minutes, you will be automatically logged off HOB Online.
CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY IF YOU NOTICE ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS
- Review all accounts regularly to detect unauthorized activity.
- Notify Heritage Oaks Bank Online at 805.369.5200 immediately if you suspect that your Access ID or Password has become known to any unauthorized person.
Heritage Oaks Bank recommends all business clients…
- Discourage employees from using public internet access points (such as open access airports, internet cafes, etc.) when accessing business information or accounts.
- Instruct each person to whom you assign an Access ID and Password that he or she is not to disclose them to any unauthorized person.
- Encrypt sensitive folders.
- Use two separate computers to initiate ACH and Wire Transfer payments.
- Set-up texting, call backs, batch limits, and dual authorization of ACH and Wire Transfer payments.
HOB Online Alerts
Electronic messages initiated by the HOB Online and received via e-mail to your computer or via SMS-text to your cell phone, smart phone, or similar mobile access device are sent over the public Internet are not necessarily secure. Therefore, we will mask any confidential account information using the electronic communication options available to us at the time, and updated periodically.