How to Recover from ID Theft

Recovering from identity theft is easier with a plan. If someone has stolen your identity, or you’ve gotten a notice about a data breach, visit for help. is the federal government’s one-stop resource to help you report and recover from identity theft. It’s also available in Spanish at .

What To Do Right Away

Act quickly to limit the damage.

  • Step 1: Call the companies where you know fraud occurred.
  • Step 2: Place a fraud alert and get your credit report.
  • Step 3: Report identity theft to the FTC.
  • Step 4: File a report with your local police department.

What To Do Next

Begin to repair the damage.

  • Close new accounts opened in your name.
  • Remove bogus charges from your accounts.
  • Correct your credit report.
  • Consider adding an extended fraud alert or credit freeze. or 1-800-525-6285 or 1-888-397-3742 or 1-800-680-7289

Other Steps

You might need to take additional steps

  • Resolve tax-related identity theft.
  • Report a misused Social Security number.
  • Stop debt collectors from trying to collect debts you don't owe.
  • Replace government-issued IDs.
  • Resolve child identity theft.
  • Resolve medical identity theft.
  • Clear your name of criminal charges.

Heritage Oaks Bank encourages you to take steps to avoid cyber theft and protect your personal and financial information.